Sunday, March 21, 2010

Update on the 1/2 Marathon Training

I successfully finished my first full week of training, however I have also developed a shin splint in my right leg and with it, a pain on the side of my knee that I haven't ever felt before.

I had a shin splint once before when I wore out my first pair of running shoes a couple years ago, and shin splints are annoying and painful. I did a little research, hoping I could blame this on my shoes again, and thank goodness, I could!

I've been wearing the running shoes I got in the fall to do kickboxing, Zumba, cardio-dance, and all the other classes I did all winter instead of running on the treadmill five days a week, and it turns out that wearing running shoes to do all those things, and then expecting to be able to run long distances with them, is just not what they're designed to do.

Because Nike discontinued my shoe of choice, and I wanted to make sure my $100 was well spent on a pair of shoes that would be comfortable, I took the advice of one of my more athletically experienced friends and made a little road trip to Aardvark Sports Shop in Bethlehem, PA. The store has salespeople who can fit customers with shoes that are right for their feet. They did a good job and even let me run around the store to see how a bunch of different shoes felt. I ended up with a pair of Nike Air Pegasus. They happen to be pink, an added bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

So as I sit on my bed typing this, a bag of frozen corn icing my shin splint, I'm hoping I'll be out hitting the streets again soon. My head and heart are in the training program 100%, now if I can only get my body on board too!

Hope, love, run,
Marathon Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment