Sunday, March 21, 2010

Who am I?

I'm just like you. Since you're here, we probably have something in common. I consider myself a 'born again' runner- I didn't participate in many sports as a child, in fact, I was usually the kid who was picked last for just about every activity in gym class.

So how, you might ask, did I end up running long distances? I had one of those Oprah 'Ah-ha' moments. When I was twenty-one years old, I was diagnosed with cancer. I spent the next year undergoing a non-cycled treatment that made me feel like I had the flu; the longest, god-awful, twelve-month flu you can imagine.

I can't tell you a specific day for the 'Ah-ha', but some time between when I started the flu-drug and when I stopped taking it 365 days later, I developed a jealousy toward people who ran, cycled, and even did things as simple as walking their dogs. I made a promise to myself that if I ever were granted the use of a functional body, I would never, ever take that gift for granted.
Five days after the 365 day flu was over, I drove to the nearest YMCA and joined. That day I couldn't walk a mile without getting winded, but eight weeks later, I ran my first 5K, a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.

I have run half a dozen 5Ks since then, among them two additional Turkey Trots. I've also taken up a slew of other sports and physical challenges, mostly because I can, but also because I feel so lucky to have a capable body to try all these new things. Despite my flirtations with other activities, running has been my one, true love all along. So now, two years and four months after that first race, I am training for my first half marathon.

I'm always training for life; it's a marathon. And every run is my victory lap. I hope you can say the same.

Hope, Love, Run,
-Marathon Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment